The Reid Building is in complementary contrast to Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s 1909 Glasgow School of Art – forging a symbiotic relation in which each structure heightens the integral qualities of the other. Working simultaneously from the inside out -nd the outside in- the building is engaging the functional needs and psychological desires of the program, making connections to the city campus and relating to the Mackintosh building opposite. The design embodies the school’s aspirations in the city’s fabric.
“Driven voids of light” allow the light to come in and get into the weirdest and most central spaces of the building. The development, designed by US architect Steven Holl in partnership with Glasgow-based JM Architects, is named after recently retired former director of the GSA, Dame Seona Reid.